Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Dumplings!

In keeping with Tonya's posts about food I figured I would share my most recent experience in the world of Chinese cooking. 

I'm trying ya'll. My boy loves his Chinese food, but I'm a little too steeped in American ways and not nearly patient enough. These Chinese cooks spend forever on their food! But every so often I can give it a whirl.


This
 
took an entire two days to make.

Two days! But it was worth it when I saw the look on my boy's face as these were steaming away. 

Dumpling Dough
Two cups of flour to 1 1/2 cups of water
(I added a bit more flour as it seemed tacky to me)
So mix it with your hands. Yep your hands.
Let it sit for two hours.
Knead it.
Let it sit for two hours...again.
Knead it...again.
Let it sit overnight.

Dude, I warned you...two whole days.
The next day you roll it out at thin as possible and cut it into round circles
about six inches in diameter.


Dumpling Filling
You can add and choose your own fillings but this is what I used.
I cooked the pork a day in advance.
I put the pork into the steamer with green onions on the side for flavor. 
(Forgive me, I was out of leeks)
I then chopped very finely an onion and more green onions.
*You must drain as much water from the onions or vegetables as possible*
Wrap them in cheesecloth and twist until water drips out of the cloth
Mix ginger, soy sauce and sesame oil in with the veggies.
Shred the pork very finely or grind it in a processor.


Now, take those blessed little circles of dough that you currently want to scream at and 
place a scoop of the meat mixture slightly off center, wet the edges of the circle.
Pinch from both the left side and right side into the middle.
Fold the left and right side to form an "envelope" shape with the dough.

Don't worry, you are almost finished now.


If you would like to steam them then place a paper towel in the bottom of the steamer.
Wait for it to fill with steam and add your precious little dumplings in until they are nearly transparent.
5-10 minutes and DONE.
Phew. You did it.

Now...find a maid to clean up the mess cause, Sister, "Ain't nobody got time for that."





No comments:

Post a Comment