Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Their Story

Okay. I've been doing some reading about establishing trust and attachment in adoption. What are some books you recommend? Or websites?
Something I read today said that telling a child their story, the part before they became part of your family is super important.  Here are a few reasons why:
If they don't know their story, they may fill in the blanks with fantasy. The fantasy will probably not be realistic and will lead to disappointment later.
Your child needs to be able to trust YOU. If you keep secrets, you are not building trust.
Having no connection to their past is confusing and can leave them feeling disconnected.
I enjoyed reading about this on Focus On The Family's site.

What do you think? How important is it to you that your child knows all the parts of their story, the good and bad? AND, how private do you keep it? I'm looking for feedback, so feel free to comment!

1 comment:

  1. I love the title "their story." I think we need to remember that it is their story, not ours and we need to be careful how much we need to share of their story with others.

    ReplyDelete